Monday, July 4, 2011

#8

Candace:
I just wanted to send you a short update. Nick and I have made a few friends here in Taiwan. Besides Chamberlain and Allison, who have been extraordinarily helpful, we met Camille, who is letting us rent out the master bedroom of her apartment until we find a place of our own. Then there is Rocky and Kim (he’s Mexican-Californian, and she’s Chinese, but most recently from Belgium). They are an interesting newly married couple, who have invited us to FHE with them each Monday. Getting to their house is kind of a trek, but the view from the  mountains is worth it. Lastly Jeram, and Linda had us over for dinner Sunday night. They have a two year old son named Jadon. He’s from the states, but she grew up in Taiwan. She taking me shopping this afternoon to show me around the markets.
We attract a fair amount of attention where ever we go, and everyone seems to be quite taken with Alec. He’s been a little under the weather since we’ve been here, but I’m not sure if we need to see a doctor, although Taiwanese people seem to be very concerned. Allison, and Linda, and another lady from church both told me I should take him to a doctor (he’s never had a temperature though), and when I was riding the bus, a couple older gentlemen came and closed my AC vents, so that he wouldn’t be in the draft.  It was a nice gesture, but I was awfully hot. The climate is a bit extreme compared to what I’m used to, but all in all, not too bad. We haven’t had to run the AC at home…just a fan. Nick sent out 9 or 10 resumes the past couple of days, so hopefully we’ll hear back from some of those soon. Once he gets a job, we’ll start looking for an apartment of our own. Rent seems fairly reasonable here considering it’s a big city. Right now we’re paying about $80 US/ week for our room, which is about half of the rent. We found a possible apartment for $500 US/month, so we’ll see. Alec is sleepy, so I have to help him fall asleep. We don’t have a crib or anything here, and we haven’t figured out how to swaddle him with the new blankets.


No comments: